Soup Recipe 1: Black Bean and Pork Trotters Soup
- Boosting milk production
- Preventing lower back pain
Preparation Time: 1¼ hour
Cooking time: 2½ hours (45 mins using pressure cooker)
Source of ingredients: Chinese grocery store, Chinese butcher
- 2 Pork trotters (ask your butcher to chop them into chunks)
- 1 Cup of dried black beans
- 4 Dried red dates
- 1.5 Litres of water
- Salt to taste
- Soak black beans for 1 hour. Discard water.
- Remove seeds from the red dates, and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Blanched pork trotters in boiling water for 10 minutes to remove impurities. Rinse and set aside.
- Place trotters, red dates and black beans into a cooking pot.
- Add 1.5 litres of water, or until it covers the trotters.
- Bring the soup to boil. Then simmer on medium-low for 1-1½ hours, until the meat on the bones are soft and falling off the bone. Check water level regularly and add hot water if the water level runs low.
- Season with salt to taste.
If you use a pressure cooker, follow instructions 1 to 3 from above, then:
4. Place the trotter, red dates and black beans in the pressure cooker.
5. Add water to halfway mark of the pot, or just covering the bones.
6. Boil the soup using high pressure for 45 mins.
7. Season with salt to taste.